Sharion Smith


In December 2010, when I experienced my first episode of TTP, I had just found temporary work that had potential to become permanent and was dealing with some family issues. To say I was extremely stressed at the time would have been an understatement.

Most of my coworkers were suffering from a stomach virus, which I thought I may have picked up as well. My head ached constantly and my stomach hurt to the point of taking a lot of acidophilus. I tried drinking lots of chocolate milk and scheduled an ultrasound of my abdomen. Unfortunately, my ultrasound appointment could not be scheduled before January.

On Friday, January 11, 2011, I arrived at work at 7 am as usual. I turned on my terminal and suddenly realized that I could not remember my password, which was really odd. As I sat there, I started to realize that my left arm was going numb and all I could think was “I can’t be sick or go home, I needed this job”. I stayed at work that morning until 11:00 am, trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally, I gave up and told my supervisor that I was ill and went home for the day. I ended up sleeping until Saturday afternoon.

When I awoke on Saturday, my head hurt so much I could feel it pulsating hard. I was out of water pills I had been taking and thought maybe this was the reason for the headache. I hadn't been paid yet so I asked my mother to borrow money so that I could go and get medication. She obliged and gave me her debit card. I put the card inside of my bra so I would know where it was but when I got to Walmart, I had no idea where the card was. I retraced my steps for over an hour looking for it.

To no avail, I gave up and drove to my sister's apartment, where I was staying. When I got back, I parked the car and walked up to the door and knocked but no one answered. This was really odd as my mother is homebound so I knew she had to be there. I knocked on the door on and off for two hours before I noticed I was at the wrong apartment! This really shook me up....I knew where I lived!

When I finally got home, I informed my mother that I lost her card. On a whim I felt my bra and there was the card! I really thought I was losing it at this point!

My mother and sister noticed that the left side of my face was drooping and told me I needed to go the ER. I thought they were just exaggerating as usual, so I declined and went to try to sleep it off.

When I woke up on Sunday, I knew something was terribly wrong. I felt like I was looking at myself from the outside... I know that may sound weird, but that's how it felt. My head felt like it was going to explode! I decided now I really needed to see a doctor so I drove myself to the ER. When I arrived, I told the nurses that I thought I was having a stroke. I couldn't remember my name, the date, year or anything else for that matter. They did a CT scan of my brain that showed two ischemic attacks. After batteries f tests were done and they had settled me, a Hematologist came to see me about my diagnosis. The Hematologist told me I had TTP and my platelets were 8,000. They proceeded to insert a groin catheter for treatment and by Sunday evening, my platelets were up to 140,000. Because of my immediate response to treatment, they sent me home asking that I come back the next day (Monday) for a CV catheter.

When I got up that Monday, I just couldn't get it together. I felt like everything I was doing was in slow motion. I went to hospital with orders I had been given in my hand. I went to the lab, surgery and to the interventional radiology department and no one knew anything! I was tired, weak and angry! I decided to go find my doctor and when I did he profusely apologized for the run around I had experienced. I remained in the hospital until the end of February because my platelets would not stabilize.

After being released, my stomach continued to hurt. This lasted about a year, which made me a nervous wreck. I did not want to end up back in the hospital. Other than my stomach, none of the other symptoms presented again until April 2012.

I was driving in evening traffic and my eyes suddenly went really blurry. I thought I may have to pull over, but after a few blinks they cleared. The next day I experienced more visual anomalies that would not clear and so I headed to the ER as a precaution. Sure enough, I was experiencing a relapse. During this hospitalization I was given the chemotherapy drug, Rituxan, and released after one week, followed by two weeks of outpatient treatments.

I've been relapse free since then! I still don't feel like myself but praying that was the last time I experience a TTP episode.


Are you interested in submitting your story to support other patients and raise awareness for TTP? For more information on submitting your story click here.

Please get involved today.